October 31, 2004
San Diego Indie Music Fest 2 Weeks Away!
Following is a huge e-mail I received from Danielle LoPresti about the first-ever San Diego Indie Music Fest two weeks from today, on Sunday, November 14, at The Abbey in Hillcrest! It had to be huge, though, because the event it describes will go from noon to midnight and feature over 25 bands on three stages! I plan to write more about it as we get closer to the 14th, so for now I'll just let Danielle say it all. I shot this photo of her at a Women's History Month Celebration she organized in March. I've also been to one of the Indie By Design showcases she and Kelly Bowen present at various venues. By the way, the other day I discovered that Danielle has included ShyCloud.com and me on her links page. Thanks, Danielle!
Here's her e-mail:
It Is Time To Mark Your Calenders,
Ladies and Gentlemen...
Say It Records and Champ Records present:
The 1st EVER San Diego Indie Music Fest!
Just 2 weeks away!!!!!
When: All day Sunday, November 14, Noon-Midnight
Where: The Historic Abbey at 2825 5th Ave. (and Olive) in Hillcrest
What: Over 25 Bands/Artists on 3 stages! Rock, Soul, Folk, Punk, Country, Spoken Word, Latin, Middle-Eastern & More
Featured Headliners: Jonatha Brooke!, Julie Wolf of Ani Difranco!, Erika Luckett!
And There's MORE! Visual and Interactive Art, Tarot Readings, Tile Painting, Massage, Hair Art, Henna Tatoos, Voter Registration, Delicious & Affordable Food and Drink All Day Long!
Pre-Sale Ticket Pricing:
Noon-6 p.m.: $15 (All Ages! 12 and Under FREE!)
6 p.m.-Midnight: $25 (21+ only)
Noon to Midnight All-Day Pass: $30 (21+ only)
Roster of Artists for the 1st Ever
San Diego Indie Music Fest:
* Jonatha Brooke -- World-renowned former Elektra recording artist and lead singer of The Story, now turned Indie icon
* Erika Luckett -- Multiple "Just Plain Folks" award winner, Acoustic Guitar Magazine's choice for "Best Independent Artist," and star of the upcoming major motion picture release, "The Californians"
* Julie Wolf -- Critically acclaimed touring keyboardist/vocalist for AniDifranco
* Danny Peck -- Nationally renowned Indie hero
* Danielle LoPresti & The Masses -- Endorsed by Ani Difranco/Black Eyed Peas
* Alicia Champion -- VH1 "Your Rock With Melissa Etheridge" winner
* Adrianne -- USA Songwriting Competition "Grand Prize" winner
* Lisa Sanders -- Two-time San Diego Music Award winner
* Kevin Wood -- Touring "Rent" star
* Kyler -- North Carolina Songwriting Competition winner
* Michael Tiernan -- 2004 LA Music Award nominee
* Matthew Stewart -- San Diego Songwriters' Guild "Song of the Year" winner
* Nels Beam -- Formerly Heather Brewer, lead singer of Acid Nine, featured at Harlem's "Showtime At The Apollo"
* May Pole -- Radiohead meets Coldplay -- A band not to be missed
* The Underground Railroad -- Soul-driven, funktified rock and roll
* Jane -- Gorgeous piano-based singer/songwriter
* Mnemonic -- Heavy hard-driving melodic metal
* Jennifer Matthews -- New England folk-rock hero
* Al Samoud -- Haunting, beat-driven Middle Eastern
* Front Row For The Meltdown -- Ohio Emo-rockers
* Bridget Brigitte -- Melodic singer-songwriter, producer of San Diego music events
* David Boyles -- Funk-driven pop a la Jamiroqoui/G-Love and Special Sauce
* Saba -- Lyrically driven, beautiful acoustic folk
* Saucy Monky -- Catchy, fun riot-grrl pop-punk
* Brea -- Velvety R&B/acoustic soul
* Laura Jane -- San Diego's funniest singer/stand-up/emcee queen
* Tamaras -- Internationally touring Indie musician
We can hardly wait to see YOU November 14th!
Our Mission: San Diego Indie Music Fest (SDIMF) is dedicated to supporting and celebrating the independent musician, initiating discussion and education of that which is Indie, and fertilizing the San Diego Independent Music Scene, baby!Posted at 8:08 AM in Music
Fest is sponsored in part by: Driven To Construction, Taylor Guitars, Sonicbids, Eveoke Dance Theatre, San Diego LGBT Pride Inc., KPRI/Music Without Boundaries, MSI, Sound Surgeon, The Indie Bible, Hillquest, Sun Harbor Marina, Phoenix Rising Coffee Co., Bang Bang Photo, The Indie Edge, Red Raven Herbs, The Lavender Lens, Update newspaper, Outword Magazine, Yum3, Pin Point Printing, Indie.Foto & Design, and more to be annnounced.
More about the producers of this ground-breaking event:
*Danielle LoPresti is the founder of Indie Activist record label Say It Records (Kelly Bowen VP), which is based in San Diego, and *Alicia Champion is the founder of Indie record label Champ Records, based in Los Angeles.
*Danielle LoPresti And The Masses:
"22 Mountains" WINNER -- 2004 Best New Recording/Band -- Outmusic
"22 Mountains" Nominated -- 2004 Alternative CD of the Year -- Just Plain Folks
"22 Mountains" WINNER -- Viewers Choice Award -- Kweevak.com
"Dear Mr. Penis Head" Nominated: BEST INDEPENDENT POP CD OF THE YEAR/ L.A. Music Awards/2001
"Danielle's music is raw and emotive, an impressive album for a new millennium where women will seize the music industry and turn it upside-down". -- Ani Difranco
WINNER VH1's "You Rock With" Melissa Etheridge!!! May 2004
"Alicia rocks, pure and simple... discover her yourself." -- Melissa Etheridge